A while ago (I want to say it was a few months ago but I think it’s been over a year), I drew a ten page action sequence for the Retros that didn’t take place in the scenes I was drawing at the time, but I intended to fit in later on. Recently I got to the point in the story where I can use that scene and was excited to tie both parts of the story together.
Ran into a couple problems, however…
The first problem is that I drew the action sequence a loooong time ago. The characters looks a little different, particularly Zoo. The look of a character, especially when they first appear, will likely evolve over time. Zoo is very different than most characters I draw so the learning curve was pretty high. The action scene Zoo is in the style I drew him when I first created him:
After a few months and dozens of pages, he evolved and looks more like this:
When the readers get to the action scene, Zoo is going to look a little different than the Zoo they’ve gotten used to. It’s a little jarring but I’m going to keep these pages as is. I should go and redraw them, but the action scene as a certain energy in them that I don’t think I could capture again. When I started this scene, it was in the early days and the excitement of starting a new series was huge and the enthusiasm really shows in this scene. Of course I’m still super excited about the Retros, but nothing beats the first few weeks of a new project.
The other problem is filling in the gaps. The action scene is snippets of the bigger story. Not only did I have to make these ten pages fit within the bigger story, but when I got to these scenes, I realized I needed to add new pages to make these ten pages make sense. I needed to avoid some potential continuity mistakes. I think I’ve got the big ones covered, and I need to go back and put in some new pages between some of the old pages to have a more coherent story. It’s a little funny I need to retroactively change some stuff for the Retros. Well, maybe not that funny.
It’s the little continuity ones that I still need to tweak.
Little continuity mistakes bug the daylights out of me. I know they shouldn’t but they do, especially when they are so easy to avoid. One thing I ran into was I drew Lucky with a communicator device on his wrist. A few pages later, it’s on his other wrist. No big deal but man, it bugs me. I am trying to fix these little mistakes the best I can in Photoshop.
So, that’s what’s up with the Retros. It’s an interesting problem that forces me to spend more time at the drawing board (literally). Luckily that’s where I love to be.